These creepy facts will mess with your head, you probably have no idea that these facts existed because you’ve always tried to avoid them. If you came this far, make sure you read every one of these 50 creepy facts.
1. A Chankiri Tree or Killing Tree is a tree in the Cambodian Killing Fields against which children and infants were smashed because their parents were accused of crimes against the Khmer Rouge. It was so the children “wouldn’t grow up and take revenge for their parents’ deaths”
2. Mount Everest is covered in frozen corpses because removing them is very unsafe and time-consuming. They are easily viewed from the climbing routes and some are used as trail markers.
3. If you get a blood transfusion and get the wrong type of blood (A, B, O, AB) one of the symptoms is “a sense of impending doom”
4. Cockroaches have been recorded eating human flesh, both living and dead, as well as fingernails, eyelashes, feet, and hands. The American cockroach and German cockroach are more likely to bite humans than other species.
5. Female mummies in Ancient Egypt were always more decomposed than their male counterparts. They discovered that this was because male bodies were embalmed a lot sooner than female bodies. Female bodies were kept at the family home until they started to decompose in order to avoid necrophilia at the embalmers.
6. They used real corpses in the 1982 film Poltergeist, for the ending pool scene. The actress did not know until AFTER the scene was filmed.
7. After raping his blindfolded victims, the Golden State Killer would be super-duper quiet and pretend like he was gone, and right when the poor victims would start to move towards the phone or try to untie themselves he would scare the fucking shit outta them.
8. There is a fungus, Cordyceps, that can actually brain-control insects, forcing them to move to a higher location where they will eventually die and release more Cordyceps spores.
9. Elmer McCurdy was a failed old west “outlaw.” His preserved body was put on display in a traveling carnival and years later he was eventually assumed to be a mannequin until he was used on set for the TV show The Six Million Dollar Man. His arm accidentally fell off during the shoot, revealing bone and muscle and that he was a corpse, not a mannequin.
10. One reason that crows and ravens are associated with death is that they would often follow armies as they marched to battle. Being both carrion birds and extremely intelligent, they realized that a large group of armed men marching on one direction meant that there would be a tasty meal of corpses to eat soon afterward.
11. The men of the ship Essex (the true event that inspires the story “Moby Dick”) avoided islands after being shipwrecked for fear of cannibals. The islands were settled and landing there would have brought salvation to the survivors. Ironically because of this bypass, the men ran out of food and were forced to eat each other for survival.
Two of the sailors were later rescued by an American ship. They were alone at sea for so long and had to cannibalize their crewmates to survive.
When they saw their rescuers, they immediately stashed bones in their pockets. They didn’t seem to care that they were rescued. They were obsessed with the bones of their fallen crewmates, so they can suck on the bone marrows. Even after they were onboard the ship, they refused to depart from the bones and would even attack anyone who would come close.
12. In the Czech Republic, there is a church called The Sedlec Ossuary that has decorations made entirely of human bones. This happened because there were too many people in the cemetery to bury everyone, and the church leaders claimed that if their bones became part of the church, it only made them closer to God.
13. The Colombian serial killer Pedro Alonso Lopez, who is known as the Monster of the Andes, raped and murdered over 300 girls from Ecuador, Peru, and Colombia. However, after he was caught and imprisoned for 18 years, he was put in a psychiatric hospital. There he was reviewed, declared to be sane, and was set free, in spite of his blatant avowal that he fully intends to kill again. Since he was released in 1998, nobody knows where he is or what he’s doing. ( He is supposed to be 71 years old at present).He is known for being the most prolific killer ever.
14. There is a genetic disease called “fibrodisplaysia ossificans progresiva”. When tissue is damaged, it is replaced with bone. Growths from underneath their skin and their joints lock solid So over time those affected slowly become encased in a prison of bone just beneath their own skin.
They usually have to choose between sitting or standing up for the rest of their life. By the end of their life they have to drink every meal through a straw and can barely move
15. Rosemary Kennedy was JFK’s sister. She suffered from oxygen deprivation at birth and that, unfortunately, stunted her mental growth. She had a pretty decent childhood, but as she grew older she began to act out. Afraid that her behavior would risk his political career, her father, Joseph, agreed to have her lobotomized. Her mother, Rose, was against it and forbade him from doing it. So he did it behind her back when she went on a trip.
After the operation, Rosemary’s already low IQ was lowered even further, to the point she could no longer walk or communicate. Her family had her locked up in an institution and basically disowned her. They never visited and never publicly acknowledged her anymore. Rosemary died at the age of 86. Her mother never forgave her husband for what he had done.
16. Human eyes don’t reflect light at night like animals do. I like to say this fact to my wife at a campfire.
17. Lobsters don’t age, their cells don’t decompose. They grow so big that they spend more energy to shed than they can reserve and die of exhaustion.
18. Imagine being totally aware of someone performing CPR but you physically can’t move or respond. Well, that’s what happens when you get bitten by a blue-ringed octopus, you have approx 6minutes between being bitten and someone starting CPR to keep your heart and lungs functioning to ensure you survive, all whilst being totally aware of what is happening to you. Neurotoxins are fun!
19. You should play dead if a bear attacks you unless they start licking your wounds because that means they plan to eat you.
20. Your brain can play tricks on you to make you see monsters in the mirror, called the Troxler Effect. The Troxler Effect is an optical illusion that affects how you perceive things, both visually and mentally.
21. More than 7000 people die annually due to the doctor’s bad handwriting.
22. The astronauts aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger most likely didn’t pass until they hit the water miles below the initial explosion.
‘Astronaut and NASA lead accident investigator Robert Overmyer said, “I not only flew with Dick Scobee (STS-51-L Commander), we owned a plane together, and I know Scob did everything he could to save his crew. Scob fought for any and every edge to survive. He flew that ship without wings all the way down … they were alive.”’
23. Men who are hanged get a death erection, known as rigor erectus.
24. The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.
25. According to Abe Lincoln’s bodyguard Crook, he said Lincoln had a dream about his own assassination 3 nights in a row before he was killed.
Crook told Lincoln NOT to go on that fateful night, and all Lincoln said was, “Goodbye, Crook,” before he went to the play.
This was VERY ODD as Lincoln always said goodnight NOT goodbye.
26. There’s a spider that gives you a 3h long boner, before you die from its bit
27. It’s quite common after you die to burp a lot as you have more gas build-up. Dead bodies can also sit up on their own sometimes.
28. The interior of the Capela dos Ossos in Portugal is made up entirely of human bones.
29. Xylaria Polymorpha is a saprobic fungus commonly known as dead man’s fingers
30. It wasn’t until 1987 that the American Academy of Pediatrics declared it unethical to operate on newborns without anesthesia. Until surprisingly recently, the medical community felt it would be dangerous to give infants anesthesia and/or believed that they didn’t feel pain.
31. Since 1900, over 13,000 people have been murdered by serial killers in the USA.
32. The bottom of Lake Superior is cold enough that the bodies of dead sailors just…remain. they don’t really decompose because it’s at freezing temperatures, so they instead get a coating of adipocere(think that’s how it’s spell) which is liquid body fat, hardened around them.
33. Human brains when they dry out smell like cat piss- that stinky ammonia smell.
34. There’s a parasite that enters a fish’s mouth, eats the tongue, and replaces itself as the fish’s new tongue.
35. Hearing is the last thing to go after you die. You just might hear the paramedics and firefighters call off CPR.
36. After getting stung by a cone snail, you don’t feel the sting for a little bit. There is no antivenin and it can be lethal. Treatment is basically keeping the victim alive until the venom wears off.
37. The stonefish, an incredibly venomous fish living in tropical waters mostly off the coast of Australia and parts of the US, can cause pain that only escalates with time. Eventually, the pain will subside but even after the barb is removed, patients have reported increasing pain 12+ hours later. Without antivenom or denaturing the venom with excessive heat, the pain builds and builds until the patients request euthanasia. Its spines hold the venom, hidden in its dorsal fins. Aboriginals living around the Great Barrier reef have “corroborees,” large gatherings, and will during these gatherings hold reenactments of people being stung by this monster.
38. CNN has had a pre-recorded broadcast from the 90’s which they will premiere during the end of the world.
39. The black mamba is the fastest snake which can slither at a speed of 12.5 miles an hour (20km/hr). They have neurotoxins that are fast-acting. The venom shuts down the nervous system and paralyzes the victim. Its venom is able to kill 10 people and it repeatedly bites. To add to this, there is an almost 100% kill rate and can kill in 20 minutes.
40. Cockroaches have been recorded eating human flesh, both living and dead, as well as fingernails, eyelashes, feet, and hands. The American cockroach and German cockroach are more likely to bite humans than other species.
41. It was once discovered that a fir tree was growing inside a human body. Artyom Sidorkin went to the doctors suspecting something wrong with his lungs. The doctors thought they were dealing with a tumor but turns out he had inhaled a fir tree seed which had sprouted and had begun growing in his lungs.
42. If you stifle a sneeze there’s a chance you can damage organs in your head, including eye blood vessels, rupturing your eardrums, and possibly rupture a brain aneurysm. Which means there’s a small chance stifling a sneeze can kill you. Better to be the loud ass with the sneeze that can be heard around the world than a dead loud ass cause someone told you to stifle that sneeze
43. An elephant masturbates by slapping it’s penis on itself.
44. There was a speech made for Apollo 11 if they were to die on the moon.
Side fact – if it were to happen, people would look up at the moon knowing that, that crew died there, and their bodies would rest there till the end of time. Not forgetting that the ocean is somewhat like this, many people died there too, at the very depths of the sea.
45. Blobfish in its natural habitat looks like a normal fish, but it lives so deep under water that it doesn’t use a normal gas bladder to keep itself balanced. Instead, it has a spongy skin that is slightly less dense than water, which becomes damaged and bloated when fishermen bring it up too quickly.
It’s not really the ugliest fish. It has just experienced something worse than one of us being thrown into outer space. Between sea level and space, there’s one atmospheric pressure of difference. Between sea level and 2000 feet under water, their upper limit, there’s 60 atmospheres of difference.
46. Locusts aren’t a type of animal, they’re a condition some grasshoppers experience. Many species of grasshoppers become locusts when they’re too crowded (literally their legs rubbing together triggers the change). Once grasshoppers start to swarm they will join up with others, physically grow larger, change color, and eat basically anything they find.
Most of a swarm will be born as part of the swarm (increased mating is part of swarm behavior). This is why it often seems like locust swarms come out of nowhere.
46. If you begin to display symptoms of rabies you will go crazy and die. There’s no cure. Your brain will slowly melt until you’re dead. (Once a rabies infection is established, there’s no effective treatment. Though a small number of people have survived rabies, the disease usually causes death. For that reason, if you think you’ve been exposed to rabies, you must get a series of shots to prevent the infection from taking hold.)
47. If you live to age 70 you will have shed around 105 pounds of skin.
48. When creating the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, they couldn’t create skeletons that looked “realistic” enough, so they used real human skeletons They’ve since removed all of them except one.
49. The Nazino Affair – In Stalin’s Russia, 6700 people were sent to live in a work camp on an island in a remote part of Russia. They had no supplies, shelter, or tools and if they tried to leave the island they were shot and killed by Russian soldiers.
It took less than 2 months before the people on the island, in their desperation, gave in to a cannibalistic holocaust. Over 4000 people were killed or went “missing” at that time. In the end, only 300 people made it off the island in one piece. It wasn’t until the late 80’s that a world tribunal even found out the gruesome details of what went on there.
50. Jeffery Dahmer tried to make “sex zombies” out of some of his victims by drilling holes in their heads while they were still alive and pouring acid into the holes.